Thursday, November 21, 2019

Well then...



Ok so it is almost 2 pm and I still haven't eaten lunch, although I am literally starving.  But no, I am here writing a blogpost because I feel the need to sort through things....  who even am I any more??


Newest abandoned find- must return in spring


So since we (I) last spoke- seriously I am getting light headed, I have to grab my foods- I have done a lot of the things. Oh yeah, that is much better- a small stack of pringles does not cut it for lunch...   First off today I - after weeks of quite the rigamarole and a lot of angst and indecision and such- took some framed photos up to Fanatical Fish in Butternut.  This has been in the works for over 2 years I believe, but it took me retiring before I could manage to make it happen.  And I understand why- trying to decide what to print, where to get it framed, which cards I wanted to produce for selling (a whole additional story), finding all the bits and pieces and ordering and managing and of course I am taking more photos and going on adventures.... and I have turned into a squirrel apparently and am distracted by shiny things and moving objects.  My brain exhausts me.  I spend a lot of time chasing my tail me thinks.

I had school down to a science.  I was semi organized, had a badillion lessons in my head for ages 4-18, could manage 30 children all doing something different, with art supplies and interruptions.  But trying to do things in a way that is appropriate for a little side-hustle business is WAY beyond my ability.  Snap decisions- I got that covered.  Thought out plans and income management..... gurl (or boy) please....  I have more photos to take. But fortunately I talk to anyone who will listen to me about it and I have good advisors in my life.  One of them has called me a squirrel more than once lately but I'm good with that.  It makes me smile.

Ice at Smith Lake
So, to clarify this all.  A couple summers ago I approached Kelly up at FF about putting some photos in her gallery.  She was really excited for that, but then I had school come along and my underlying but still unrecognized issue of not making decisions quickly cropped up.  New things like that paralyze me.  But since I sort of rashly decided to retire (I am totally capable of fast decisions and pride myself in knowing what I want - usually) I had a little more space in my mind and I talked to her again and began the process.  That is when trouble started: what photos, which size, how many, which company, should they be metal prints, winter or summer, landscape or abandoned....  goodness. (Side note: most of them are abandoned sorts of photos)  Plus Kelly has room to sell cards- and a friend said she would love some winter cards that could be used for Christmas or not!  What pictures, what company, compare prices, how many.....  then get little clear bags, and price stickers... Oh and hey, business cards, a new email for the business (photosbydebikayo@gmail.com) and then I would sit in a corner and play Candy Crush until I came down off my anxious little branch of the tree. 

Houghton Falls
MEANWHILE, I went on 4 vacations this past summer/fall and I still have photos to edit from them- especially the ones from the museums, and I discovered a zillion that I didn't upload of other pix that I need for calendars also, and nothing that has to do with photo editing is fast.  In addition, I took a lot of photos for the newspaper, which definitely cluttered my mind (man I love that though) and that was a heap of editing sprinkled in there as well.  The newspaper editor is a former student (HI SETH!) and he likes to send me on fun assignments. 

Lake Superior Ice in Ashland
So I have had photos printed for quite a while now, ranging from a couple years to a couple months ago, and I chose some to get framed.  There is not a lot of choice up here for that, and I needed to NOT be traveling a long way for this.  So I found the Superior Framing Gallery in Ashland and I have to say how pleased I am with their fast - holy smokes fast- service and really great quality for a reasonable amount of money- framing is expensive you guys, but I certainly don't want to do it myself.  Been there  and done that and I HATE it.   I finally made my way up to Ashland to pick them up (life and the weather got in the way) and I synced schedules with Kelly and got them to the gallery.

After delivering my prints this morning, I decided that having an abandoned building calendar to sell at the Butternut Community Christmas thing (veering off onto another tangent) along with my cards would be a great idea.  So I began making that  when I got home and that is NEVER fast, plus I need to have all 3 of my calendars done by Sunday because there is a 50% off sale and that needs to happen.  SO I stopped everything after the first calendar was ordered and got myself something to eat and wrote this craziness out. 

Lake Superior at the end of the Houghton Falls trail.
I feel slightly less dazed.

Then I think about how probably I should get a website and update the facebook business page I have with photos and then I am thinking maybe I should go play a computer game even though I have a ton of other things I need to do. 

Nothing happens fast in the photography world apparently, especially when you live no where near anything that can assist you in having a finished product.  Oh well, I finally had the framing issue  come together, I have the calendar ordered and I plan to work on the other calendars tomorrow.    Pop open that bottle of white that is in my fridge.  Edit tonight.  Oh wait, I better reverse that order.  Put the cards into their little sleeves and such. 

If you want a calendar, and some people have wanted them before- message or email me.  I have an abandoned building one and I will put together an artsy one if people are interested.  Because I enjoy torturing myself apparently.  If you want to go to Butternut for their little Christmas thing- that is Saturday, 12/7 from 10 - 2.  I will be at Fanatical Fish with my little card table of cards.  Isn't that a nice symmetry?

Otherwise I want you to get out there and find the joy in your life!  Because I feel like mine is getting more joyful again, now that the horror that was the beginning of this year has faded a little.  And I am planning already a few joyful events in 2020!  YAY!  #bringit


No comments:

Post a Comment