Friday, August 31, 2012

A whole entire year!

The year to which I am referring, is that I have been going to the gym for that time period now, and to be super cliche- wow what a difference a year has made!

Last August 31, I went to Triple B because I knew that I needed to do something to help me keep my weight loss going. I knew that walking would not be enough, though it is the core of my calorie burning activities, that work and the weather would truly find a way to interfere with my ability to get outside daily.  So I decided to try out the gym, if nothing else for the cardio equipment, but I was interested in lifting weights.  I used to lift weights, sort of, at home.  I liked doing it, but I never felt particularly successful, mostly because I had no idea what I was doing.  I read a lot when I am interested in something, so I had an idea about proper form, but of course had no way of knowing if I was doing it right.   And when you are at home, it is just as easy to sit down after 15 minutes of randomly picking up and putting down a 5 lb weight in various ways, or drink more coffee, or get distracted by any other thing.......

So I got brave and went in to sign up.  Yes, that was a brave thing for me to do.  I like to know if I am doing something right, I don't want to feel silly or out of place.  I knew Lori from when she worked at our public library, I had the girls in art class, so that made it a little easier.  I had also gone in for a few magnificent pedicures before I started working out!!  So, I wasn't a total stranger, but had NEVER ventured into the "other side of the building".  That was a scary place for me- it was sort of noisy- lots of foreign clanging .... there were people I did NOT know and they are all way bigger than me!!  It was bright and GOD FORBID there are mirrors EVERYWHERE!  A year ago mirrors were not exactly my friend yet.  I had lost 30 pounds in the past 7 months, so I was ready for a little more, but oy, was that a step out of my comfort zone.  I did not feel exactly like I belonged, and I stressed out over whether I was doing something wrong.  I did not want to bother the people around me, did not want to get in the way....

Of course everyone there is super nice and very helpful.  I was given a tour, a primer in weight lifting and Lori was kind enough to show me the exercises multiple times when I asked for help.  I learn a lot by observing, so it was awesome to have all the family members working out among us.  It took me a while to feel brave enough to talk freely to everyone, I think it was a couple weeks before I said more than a word or two to Brian and Brandon!  (Now they can't get me to shut up!  LOL)  And the encouragement that I received was above and beyond what I ever imagined.  I do not know if they realize how it motivated me with the simple act of noticing my improvement and commenting on it.  I will never forget the time after I was coming regularly for about 6 or 7 weeks and Brian said to me that he could see the changes in me!  I was flabbergasted, since I could not yet see them in myself.  Or the time Lori said that she wanted to take a picture of my back, because I never see it and I would be surprised how much definition was starting to take place.  Or the way I was forced into the front row of dance class by Lori and Brianna because I obviously love to dance.  The things that they have done for my fitness and self esteem are immeasurable.  I can go on and on....  Bridget will stop her work out to hand me a weight to lift over head so i don't clunk myself on the noggin, Brandon will accuse me of having too many Red Bulls, when really I am just so glad to be there.....

So here I am 70 plus pounds lighter, and so much fitter to show for it.  And I have to give credit where credit is due.  Thanks you so much to the Duba family and also James, who also works there!!!  Triple B has been a big part of my life the past year, and it is a relationship I plan to continue for a long long time!  You guys ARE the best!  xoxoxox

(Pix to follow when I get time to find them!!)

1 comment: