Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Last Adventure of 2016

If you were to look in on me right now, it would be a sorry sight.  Here it is -  not too long after 4am on a Saturday as I begin this paragraph, plus it is our Christmas break and the Mad-Art Teacher is sitting on the couch unable to breathe through her nose.  And not sleeping....This is not cool.  I didn't get to sleep until at least midnight.   I am pretty sure that the germy little fingers of a grandchild (not sure which grandchild, actually) introduced me to this virus, and the main reason  I think THAT is that the MA got the same thing at pretty much the same time.  Oh well- that is what happens in the winter....  when you have lots of visitors who stick their little fingers all over your face.  No regrets.
Who me??  
Seriously needs to up his selfie game- lol 

I said to the MA  earlier this week that I HAD to find someone to go with me up to Bayfield, as I was really missing it and I needed an adventure.  Low and behold, the next day he casually mentions that if I hadn't found someone to go that he would!  Wait, WHAT?  This is the last work day of the year, and the man who NEVER misses a day of work, much less the second to the last day of the year (where clients call in a panic to find out what they can do to avoid paying all the taxes) and he wants to spend the day with me in Bayfield!  Huh. I was hoping that the apocalypse wasn't happening whilst we were traveling because it was that sort of an event.  Hehe  So I told him what the schedule would be and what we were doing and in what order and he was good with that.  The only issues HE actually had is that while he was driving I would be chatting away (shocking, I know) and would forget that he didn't know exactly where he was going.  He has, of course, been to Bayfield and the area before, but it has been a while and he had never been over to Meyers Beach....  but that was fine.  I just reminded myself frequently to give specific directions.  Apparently when the kids were little and we had gone to my Grandma and Grandpas in Minnesota we had come home that way, but I have no real memory of that- I was undoubtedly occupied with said rascals in the back seat.




So, I ignored the fact that I had things brewing in my head and instead- armed with zicam and a positive attitude- we left in the am to head up to Washburn.  Along the way we admired the new bridges that were installed on Hwy 13, rebuilt in less than 6 months mind you, where they had been washed out by the storm in the early summer.  There was very little sign of the power of mother nature there, except we did see where the train tracks were never fixed- rails are hanging there unsupported.  I guess the the train isn't running beyond Park Falls now- who knew?!
Vegetarian frittata with roasted rosemary potatoes mmmmmm

 I was STARVING when we arrived at Coco's for a lovely breakfast of frittata and potatoes.  I knew that it would be totally worth the wait and it was! Being there in the winter is so nice, you have choice of seating and no chance your favorite breads have been all bought up!

Look what was not at all in it's usual spot!  Docked for the winter
Bayfield was next up, and while that is always beautiful, the ice in town was a problem.  Last Monday there was a massive wind storm and it is obvious everywhere that the lake and its spray had coated the surfaces of the road and, well, every other surface as well, with ice.  Made for some hazardous walking, but we got to the docks and over to the marina area and then to Big Water Coffee!  Our next stop was going to be for a walk down on Meyer's Beach, but that was not to be.  As I mentioned- ice. And it was all over the stairs that lead to the beach, and neither of us were willing to break bones just to get down there.  sigh.  It is a nice drive over though, and there was very little traffic.  I had some alternative places to go- including for me to shoot an abandoned house by the Bayfield golf course and then stop by Friendly Valley Beach.  I knew that beach is level with the road and that we could get there without too much effort.
This was way way treacherous- I was clinging to the railing as I stepped to the top to see what that stairs were like.  Not good

Only in your dreams....

I spent a lot of time reminiscing- my sentences frequently started with: That is where Adam and I** .... or Laurie and Adam and I always .......  It was entertaining (for me at least) to think of all my Bayfield adventures and that was courtesy of memories that popped up while guiding a new person through a Bayfielding adventure.  We also stopped at the Chequamegon food co-op (no ice there!  haha) and then had a light late lunch at the Black Cat Cafe in Ashland.  We got home before it got dark, so I was able to unload all my stuff- I always take and accumulate a lot of stuff when I am in the far north- and feed the horse before dark.
** Adam- I sort want to go see Point Detour again- but not in the ice- just sayin'  ;)


We found an iceberg!  
So the Lake was just glorious- even though it was quite grey and overcast.  There was some shelf ice built up on the beach, and that ice was covered with sand.  There were other areas with worn and weathered icicles hanging from brush and a shells of ice over the rocks.  The Chequamegon Bay was fairly quiet, and was partially frozen down by Ashland,  and the South Shore- as per usual- was more active.  But, that is normal- gah, it kills me still that I couldn't get down to that lake by Cornucopia.  PLUS, while I wasn't rushed by my companion,  I could not take all the time I wanted to shoot as the wind was so cold.  So my pictures are fine, but I am NEVER satisfied.
Friendly beach and ye old Gitchee Gummee tree stump

But that keeps me trying new things and wanting new lenses (hehe) and giving me new things to do in the year to come.  2016 did not suck you guys.  It is what it is, the good and the bad- and it is all in your attitude- and in your quest for a little joy in your life.  Happy New Year's Eve to you all and be safe and happy tonight and all through the coming New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment