Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Travels with Debi in Germany: Lets go to Switzerland!



Let's begin another amazing day of this trip, actually only the second full day there.  Germany is such a wonderful country to visit, and just one of the cool things about Hohberg/Diersberg is it is close to a few other countries I wanted to check off my list.  Actually I would like to spend more time in both Switzerland and France, but that is another discussion.  I don't actually have passport stamps from either Germany or Switzerland....  thanks a lot, Iceland,....  but I know I was there. I have a lot in my brain about all of these topics, but I won't digress- at least for now!

I was asked what I wanted to do by both of my hosts for their respective countries.  Knowing that this would be a unique trip because I was staying with "locals"  I had very few requests for what I would like to do.  I did request if it was possible to go to Zürich, because, well Switzerland ya know?  Some of this want was because I thought the Alps were closer, but no.  Not that close.  Oh well, another trip.

At the top of the mountain- with Anne-Sophie and Johann- who has a rock.  Lol
Looking out over the hills and valleys 

Because my friend Anne-Sophie- sort of unbeknownst to me- had lived lived in Zürich for a while, she was more than happy to tour  with me around the city a bit. We drove the hour plus into Switzerland and parked near the train station and took a train up the (I don't think technically this was a mountain) big old hill where we could look over the city and Lake Zurich.

The train station in Zurich where we boarded the train up the mountain

Sort of a random photo of where we got off part way up the mountain

So trains....  I spent a lot of time on various trains above and below the ground on this trip.  It was for the most part an enjoyable experience.  I guess the only not that enjoyable part was later on but you will hear about that soon.  I was sort of giddy traveling up that mountain, smiling at and talking to (listening to) Johann, looking out the windows at the houses and buildings and scenery, chatting about some information about where we were going....  I don't get at all worried about the height when I am in a train, so that ramps up my enjoyment levels a lot.  I think train travel is underused here in the US, but you know us. We like our cars!  This train was super clean and on time and well, very Swiss precision.  My impression of Switzerland and Germany is how really very clean looking it is, especially where I was.  And it is nice to be able to read some of the signage. (Sorry Italy, I'm trying but your language is not as easy to learn for me).


This was my view for lunch on Friday the 15 of June, and I think it was pretty freaking spectacular.

Anyway, we took that train up the hill/mountain to a place called Stallikon-Uetilberg according to my phone's location tagging.  (Hey, upon reading my link for Üetilberg, it IS considered a mountain, but not the Alps) **I was on a mountain**  Lol  It was spectacular!  We hiked up the rest of the way to the top, and then got to look out over the city and lake below.  It was so beautiful.  One of my favorite moments of the trip. (I am sure if you are counting or I mention them all, there are a lot of favorites and moments)   AND then we ate at a lovely restaurant, outside and had a beautiful lunch overlooking the lake and the country and we saw trains below- so much fun.  AND superb food- just superb.  

 A salad that included various veggies that I loved and that stick was indeed bread- a lovely plate, no?  And we did have some ice cream some where along the way this day as well.

After spending a few hours up there, we took that train back down again and then we went into the city.  All the while Anne was pointing out places like the Starbucks she used to go to,  and other locations that she knew around Zürich.  We walked to a river and saw swans on it, many tourists walking around getting tours, some SUPER amazing architecture and many other things I'm sure I am forgetting about.

Look at these colors...  and look- swans!  Limmat River

These buildings were so cool.  The architecture is divine.


An interesting balcony on a corner downtown- those torsos stopped me in my tracks


OK, cool things about Europe-  all the outdoor cafes and restaurants. All the fresh foods that are available all over- I want to go to a good bakery and buy a small loaf of bread every day or two.  (and pretzels because that just has to be said. AND all the plants that are hanging from people's balconies and windows.  It is everywhere.  And I am so impressed.  And the wine- mmmmmmm.  I have no pictures to illustrate any of these points at this moment, so imagine this paragraph as a loosely related aside.

The metal work on this door was so interesting, not to mention the doorknob placement

I mentioned in the previous post that I enjoyed seeing details, such as doors- at least I think I said that.  It is hard to write everything down that I think.  My mind is recovering a lot of details as I recount the stories and see the photos, so if I refer to something and it wasn't there- um- sorry?

Selfie on the dock!

LOOK YOU GUYS!!!  You can see the Alps WAY BACK THERE- on the left

We ended up down by Lake Zürich- which we were looking at from above- and watched people on the docks and the tourists and the little kids and I heard tales of being here several years ago.  The personal stories really brought the city to life, and I like to think that she saw it in a new way from my comments and exclamations and opinions of what I was seeing.  It was super

I would like to be living up on the top and be out in those roof top gardens
Lake Zürich



One of my favorite unexpected things was this broken accordion- I stopped in my tracks and went back to shoot it.
 I loved my side trip to the south, to Switzerland.  It was a fun drive with my friend but it was so nice to get back to the house with the lovely porch and the wonderful family and a cute little room with those open windows.  And I tucked away a whole lot of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment