Saturday, August 18, 2018

Travels with Debi: Strasbourg and the last few days in Germany

The beauty of the edge of the Black Forest
This is the last post from Germany, and I really was so sad to leave.  I enjoyed myself so much and the people I met were incredibly kind and wonderful to me.  It makes me tear up a little thinking of it all.

We stayed close to home for various reasons on Monday and Tuesday- I did go out for lunch at an Italian place one day and we had delicious meals at the house as well.  Anne-Sophie's dad had a birthday party Monday and (again with the wine) we had some lovely champagne and cake.  The German cakes you guys- oh yeah.  Lots of kinds of cake...

Part of the Ruines Diersburg 
Wednesday we went into France and visited the town of Straßbourg, which is where I took the train the next day.  It was a short drive really, but we did take a train into the city center which was - as pretty much all the cities I was in- BREATHTAKING.  Feel free to write in appropriate adjectives because I am running out and I haven't come up with new ones.  And I still have London to write about.  Goodness I am a procrastinator- but better late than never.  ;)

You can see just beyond that house the valley that this castle looked over.

View from the Ruins


Part of the footprint of the castle
First off though, during the day when I was left to my own devices on Tuesday, I was encouraged to go to the Ruins that I am still fascinated by.  The Ruins is a centuries old ruins of a castle that belongs  to their family.  It was destroyed at one point in I think the 1400's.  A sort of funny story, though, I had some issues trying to get there. I swear to heaven that I followed the map and the directions.  I, of course, had no idea where I was going.  Because if you know me at all, you understand that I will get myself turned around.  I did know that I should not proceed up over the hills of the Black Forest, so I am not still wandering around there.  Anyway, I walked and walked and looked.  I saw it from afar but I could not find how to get there!   It made me sad.  I did see beautiful country side, though and it was a nice walk.


Now doesn't this look easy??  Nothing apparently is all that easy- especially with ill-marked roads and directionally challenged art teachers.

So before we went to Straßbourg,  we went for a little drive.  It is hard to explain the whole thing, but we drove there, going up the way I came back (of course) and then she parked the car  along the road and said we are here.  WHAT??  WHERE??  Look up!  Oh.  I didn't take a picture of the location because there were just too many trees in the way, and it didn't lend itself.... and also I was busy rolling my eyes at myself.

And so this guy was hanging out across the road when we got to the car

So basically I walked right by the path to the ruins and didn't know it was there, but I forgive myself because how was I to know, right?    TOTALLY worth the wait, such a cool place.  You know me and abandoned stuff....


Cathedral in Straßbourg


Look at all that carving!  And the pink sandstone was just glorious
Just beautiful
So Straßbourg is a gorgeous city, and has some amazing buildings and one gorgeous Gothic church The architecture was fantastic!  I have to reiterate how much I enjoyed the buildings and details of such buildings in Deutschland.  Anyway, we wandered around and enjoyed- ahem- ice cream, I got some post cards and we went to a park where Johann played in the fountain.  What a wonderful day.  I did not take as many photos anywhere as I "should" have, but I sure enjoyed the moments I had.  AND I found another palace!
Johann!

The entrance to the Palais Rohan
Some fine Baroque architecture here!









A few detail photos that I really enjoyed above!  Blogger is being difficult and not letting me put things where I see fit.  



Let's just go play in a fountain!

I took a quick shot of the inside of the train station that I left from.  Pretty cool

 That evening we had some photos taken of the group of us by the neighbor and we got back to the house so I could gather my things because the train left fairly early.  I'm sorry I made Anne-Sophie stay with my until the Eurostar came, but I was nervous.  Though I had coaching from my dear friend Paula, a truly seasoned traveler  who gave the the confidence and information necessary to get myself through Paris- which will be discussed at length in the next post- I was still a bit terrified- yes I was a mess.   You probably should know the whole event was undoubtedly more dramatic in the mind of Debi than in real life, but eh.  That is part of my charm, no?
This time it was a party of 5
Just a small selection of some gorgeous sweets.  I got something,
but don't remember what. 

Selfie with cathedral


This was such an opulent carousel.


 This was the end of my Germany based travels- on to another transition and travel....  and a new country as well!   It was certainly easy to find my joy here.  Stay tuned for more adventures!


No comments:

Post a Comment