Sunday, September 2, 2018

Another school year begins

We have had the inservice, the open house, put away the supplies, fired up the coffee pot and prepared our rooms..... so we have no choice but to acknowledge that another school year is underway.


As always, it is a bittersweet event.  The summer is gone, the travels have been completed.  The photos are for the most part edited and the memories  have begun to fade a little.  The seniors have gone on to other things, the new freshmen are worried and there are new students who are going to try to find a place to fit in and be.

A few new teachers, who are also trying to figure out how they are going to fit into our crazy world, have begun their tenure at CHS.  As well as a new superintendent and high school receptionist, there will be new babies coming for some staff and retirements for others at the end of the year.



Myself, I have none of these milestones on the horizon- just the brand new schedule, the brand new students, even bigger classes in the elementary school and at least a little more time down there to prepare for them.  Not a lot but slightly more.  I will desperately miss a few of my missing kids, and am so eternally grateful for some who go over and above for me.  

It will be different in the winter when I no longer am an active team member of the musical.  I will give guidance if necessary, but I just can't do it again.  It makes me so sad in some ways and is a giant relief in others.  There are lots of other things to keep me occupied.


This year though, I have decided to embrace the changing instead of fighting it- I have a big evaluation year coming for my teaching that will hopefully be my last eval.  Those are no fun, people.  I want to stay a step ahead of all that paper work instead of playing catchup all the time.  That sort of data keeping sucks my soul dry; it is not me, it makes me panic and shuts me down.  I may be rolling my eyes and clenching my jaw, but with a little preparation and meditation I will get through it.  Along with the help of a couple of my friends. 



So here comes fall- BRING IT ON. Winter is next, come on- I'm ready.  The insanity of spring in the schools- I've done it before and I will do it again, and it won't kill me.  I have too much to do when it becomes summer again.


 Summer is for photography and kayaking and travels and joy.  And it will be here before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment