Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Do I really have to?

 It has been an interesting time here in the land of Oswald, what with odd gurglings and late in the weekend, backups and goo in the kitchen sink and bathtub.  Just because why the hell not.  Without going into gory, gooey detail, I am fortunate enough to have a plumber (and actually an electrician) who I rarely bother but can text if something arises.  And they come fairly swiftly, which makes me their biggest fan.  Ever.  Anyway, I was waiting for my wonderful plumber and son this morning, with nothing on my radar except being able to use my sink, bathtub and extraordinarily important dishwasher again. In less than an hour an old pipe was replaced and I was on my way to running the dishwasher full of a few days worth of dishes.

Sitting there in relief after they left, I was wondering what to do next.  It is cool outside today, but very wet from the rain last night.  I dont have to do anything really and it would just be a muddy, soggy mess to garden.  So, what to do? Inside,  I have plenty of options.

I was turning over some possibilities and had that old adage of "what would you do if today was your last day" float through my head and I was thinking about meaningful things to accomplish. I thought about what would be an important, satisfying  thing to do. Something that was visible.  I mean what if it was?? My last day??  Do you really want your people to look through your dresser and think what a messy, hoarder of art supplies and grandchildren art you are? 

Well, seriously, no.  However..... this seems a little like a western world sort of idea- if you aren't accomplishing something, are you even worthy?  Do I really have to live my days like it could be my last??  Is that necessary?  

I mean, there are people I would go see or call if that were true.  Maybe a place to visit, or a book to read or a blog to post to.  But cleaning out my dresser isn't one of them.  Perhaps I am interpreting it the wrong way, but you know what I mean, I think.  Because making my house and belongings look like I am not anything less that a superstar of cleanliness is not going to be on that particular agenda.  So,  I think I will just let the day unfold.  

I get secretly stressed out when house issues arise, especially when I used all the tricks I have in my arsenal to fix that plumbing issue.  It bothered me a lot. It probably calls back to the day when a plumber was not particularly easy to contact.  I personally deal with most of the stuff like that that comes up, as my mother always told me to do it myself.  "Men are usually not around when you need them anyway".  lol.  My mom was a hoot,  and correct for the most part.  Some men do not have those skill sets or they are at work and can't do more than message/call a professional anyway.  Or try to make me the go-fer, which I am not a good one of those.  Too defiant.  So, I just do it myself.  Now if I need a tree cut down or the lawn mowed, things shoveled, cabins built, a driveway "fixed" (iykyk*)  or any number of other things, I got a guy here who is pretty good at that stuff.  Oh and accounting too.  He's really good at that.  

So anyway, I think I am going to make a leisurely lunch and unload the now finished dishwasher and probably paint some beehives, because that color gives me joy.  Not because of some stupid saying that has taken up space in my mind for who knows how long.  Another false cultural idea to pitch out onto the burn pile.  

Anyway, that is my thought for the day.  I dont know where these things are coming from, but lately I am challenging a lot of things I used to "know" to be true.  Its an interesting experience. I have ideas but that is another post some day. 

Challenge your beliefs. A lot of them are just not serving you.  Throw them on the burn pile. You got this.

*if you know, you know





No comments:

Post a Comment