Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Smoked Cauliflower and Couscous




I finally got a little time today to do some cooking- at least cooking that was my choice and not needing to be cooked elsewhere/transported or in anyway needing to please other people but me.  

As I have previously at least showed in pictures, I got a new cookbook for Christmas from me, to me! I was able to read a bunch of it while riding down to Jon's a few days ago, and I have lots of cooking to do!  I am not sure why I chose this particular recipe, but it sounded good, and I had picked up some whole wheat couscous, so I was ready.
I THINK I am going to try and do at least one idea from that book per week until school is done.  I do like to have some new things to eat around the house during the week!!
Anyway, I made this tonight and it is something that I will make again. If you are at all interested in vegetarian cooking, this book by Mark Bittman is totally worth the investment!!
It is really a simple and quick procedure that only requires that you do a little chopping and stirring.

Begin with all of your ingredients all together and pretty much prepared and it will go very smoothly!  Chop the onion, and the cauliflower, keeping them separate. 


Toast the almonds in a dry frying pan


After stirring them around for a while, remove them from the pan, add the oil and the onion


Have the cauliflower ready....


Add the cauliflower to the softened onions and stir up well- oil should be coating the cauliflower.  Saute until the veg starts to crackle




cook the cauliflower until it has slightly softened


add the couscous and toast it for another 5 minutes


Add the smoked paprika  and then the vegetable broth- cook undisturbed for 15 min.


Chop up the almonds as small as you can


Mix it into the couscous and then let it sit


Spoon out, garnish with grated cheese and enjoy!

WHOLE WHEAT COUSCOUS WITH CAULIFLOWERAND ALMONDS
From How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman


½ cup of whole almonds
3 tablespoon olive oil
1 large shallot or small onion
1 small cauliflower – chopped- about3 cups
salt and pepper
1 cup whole wheat couscous (or regular)
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1 ½ cups vegetable broth
½ cup parsley
grated cheese

In a dry skillet, pour almonds in andtoast in hot pan. Stir constantly- about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside in a bowl to cool

In same pan, heat oil and add onion,cook about 2 minutes, stirring, until softened a bit and starting toturn color. Add cauliflower and salt and pepper. Stir well- Cookabout 5 – 10 minutes until veg. starts to pop and crackle.

Add couscous, stirring until coatedwith oil, then sautee about another 2- 3 minutes, couscous will startto toast.
Sprinkle with paprika, then addvegetable broth. Bring to boil then turn heat very low, cover andcook without stirring for 15 min. (5 min. for regular couscous). Chop almonds as fine as you can. Add them with the parsley (I didn'thave parsley) to dish, fluff with spoon, cover and let sit without heat for another 2 minutes. Can be eaten warm or cool!

About 400 calories per cup. That isthe count for it without cheese. TOTALLY worth every calorie

A definite joy in my week!


No comments:

Post a Comment