Monday, August 5, 2013

Raw Pad Thai Salad

I must say that the look of this was what attracted me.  I am a sucker for bright colors!!  :)  I came across this wonderful recipe at "Oh She Glows" and it is great!!  Pretty pretty!!
I loved the whole julienne with a device idea that she discusses there, so I found a nice little tool that will do that..... and yes I bought a kitchen item for use in one recipe!!  I will use this again!  :) 

 Safety note!! Keep things on your cutting board, don't hold the veg in your hand......  just trust me on that!



Basically, you shred, julienne or slice very thinly zucchini, peppers, carrots, onion (not shown) and cabbage.  Add some edamame and then make the dressing......

  





I used my fake "Magic Bullet" as I only had crunchy peanut butter, though I am not convinced that chunks of peanuts or almonds would not be awesome. And of course I was in a hurry and forgot to take a pic of the dressing ingredients and/or finished dressing .... 


There are also a number of things I will change next time:

1. a little salt would have been good I think.....
2. some kick of heat- cayenne, pepper flakes, sriachi sauce, something just for a tiny bit of spicy
3. I will replace the water with a couple tablespoons of light coconut milk.
4. Either add some chopped peanuts or almonds or not "blend" the chunks out of the crunchy peanut butter and almond butter that I used.

It was so crunchy and light, but very satisfying.  Wonderful summer side or a meal the next day!  :)


 Rainbow Raw Pad Thai


Yield: 2 large servings (this is also really heavy on the dressing- pour with discretion)
  • 1 medium zucchini, julienned
  • 2 large carrots, julienned
  • 1 red pepper, thinly sliced- I used tiny cute lil peppers
  • 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
  • 3/4 cup frozen edamame, thawed
  • 1/2 white onion- thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon hemp seeds** and/or a teaspoon of sesame seed
  • Optional topping of chopped nuts of your choice

For the dressing 
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/4 cup (creamy or chunky) natural peanut butter and/or almond butter ( I used half pb and half almond)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari
  • 2 tablespoons water  -- definitely consider coconut milk
  • 2.5 teaspoons pure maple syrup (or other sweetener)
  • 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (I used more like a tablespoon)
  • **cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes or some sort of hot sauce for heat

1. Prep vegetables. Add the zucchini, carrots, pepper, and cabbage into large bowl. Add edamame and onion.  Toss
2. Prepare the dressing by processing all dressing ingredients in a mini blender or a whisk. The blender will smooth out the dressing.  I am thinking nut pieces would be nice. Pour over veg and toss.  Add only 2/3 - 3/4 dressing at first.  A lot of water will be released by the zucchini in a short time.
3. Top bowl with  hemp and sesame seeds, and chopped peanuts, cashews or almonds perhaps??  Enjoy!

**note about Hemp seeds- these thing are so tasty!  And are protein packed- worth finding and trying in all sorts of things.  I put it on my cereal with blueberries sometimes........  YUM


You will definitely find some joy in this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment