Sunday, October 20, 2013

Late season garden pictures

Zinnia "Zowie"

I have a gardening friend who recently had a traumatic injury and is now forced to be confined to a few rooms in a house that is not hers.  I won't go into any particulars, not that I really know them, other than the fact that this vigorous, healthy,  active woman is now forced into life of stillness, and relative solitude.


Rudbeckia (Goldsturm)

Prairie dropseed Sporobolus heterolepis 

Solidago Rugosa "Fireworks"

I've been thinking about this a LOT.  What would I do, what would I feel like, what would happen, if I had a similar outcome to a probably quite ordinary accident?  Would I handle it with grace as she seems to be- I know I could detect in her writing a bit of shock and disbelief at the beginning.


Helianthus
Ornamental Grass (I don't remember which it is!)


End of the flower garden with Karl Foerester grass, Prairie Dropseed, a Miscanthus,  and a Panicum.



I am pretty sure I would have put a blog post up the first day whining and crying and carrying on- maybe not, though.  You just never know.  Being forced into relative silence- probably painful immobility- and being removed from the place that you are comfortable and familiar, not being able to come and go as you wish, and just the general looking at life-as-you-no-longer-know-it in the face, must be something that is a daily, indeed hourly, struggle.




Frosty cherry tomato
A daisy that was given to me by a friend- species unknown

Sambucus nigra "Eva" (Black Lace)

 So to give her a possible boost and to know that I am thinking about her, as well I am sure as are many many people, I want to post some seasonal garden pix for her.


Aster species unknown

Echinacea in October


Echinacea in September
Prairie Dropseed, Miscanthus "Zebra grass", Ladies Mantle (Alchemilla)
She will be happy that she doesn't live in northern Wisconsin, at least.  :)  This is called counting my blessings, in spite of the snow.  Life needs to be celebrated, not bemoaned.

Lola standing stoically through all the things mother nature throws at her


Sunflowers in the snow- beautiful contrasts of seasons.

And a little joy should be shared with those who need it.

I want to do a little shout out to my buddies (and hers) at the Sprout-off forum where we first met.  It is a great, quirky bunch that are always ready to talk all things gardening, and then some!  :) Please visit if you are a gardening person- this is a fabulous group!!

No comments:

Post a Comment