Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Well this is no fun~

So this is your update for the day from the art teacher who can't use her arms.

Yesterday I ended the day feeling pretty well,I was getting some range of motion back, but certainly not a lot. I decided to try to sleep without the splint on, which was fine except I was in some pain when I woke up. Oh well. 

That pain continued throughout the day. So I lightly treated it with a little ibuprofen and ice. It's a weird thing this particular injury I feel actually pretty good. I feel awake,  I don't feel sick all in all I feel like normal. Until it comes to picking something up or trying to do something that involves my hands. 

Now wouldn't you think that would be most of the day? When you're just sitting around talking to friends it's not too big of a deal. But when your friend or your husband leaves and you want to open up a bowl of soup that someone so kindly package for you in individual servings so as not to be too heavy, and you CAN'T OPEN IT,  it then becomes a problem. 

I think the issue is that because I feel healthy otherwise I sort of feel like a fraud.  However, when you find it next to impossible to zip up your own sweatshirts, clip your own fingernail, or even for heavens sakes rub lotion into your hands- then you realize that you are not pretending, or imagining or anything. I can't move my hair from under my collar or put on my own socks. Sigh. 

I am  trying to not complain, because I know that there are so many more people in the world who are actually in dire straights and all. I am having a hard time admitting that there is a lot of stuff I can't do right now. What is this about? Our culture makes us feel like we never should admit to weakness or pain? As a female I should suck it up and just do everything? As a teacher I am letting my students down because I am not there for them? Maybe a combo of everything. At any rate, I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around it all. The last time I missed more than one or two days of school in a school year, was the year that my dad died and I missed a week then.   The MA and a few friends think I should maybe think about staying  home Monday as well.....  but I don't feel like I can stay away.  So I'm not quite sure how to process all of this. 

On the positive side I've had a lot of really nice people come and visit me (read: be my helping hands)  By visiting and texting and telephone calls I have caught up with an awful lot of people who I don't see enough and certainly don't talk to enough. Rumor has it my seester-Rose is coming to visit me this weekend too!  

Anyway, I'm going to attempt to hold a book for a while and other adventurous things that I may or may not be able to do!

Hoping to make it through the evening without help of pharmaceuticals which just make me feel creepy- and also to be able to drink my coffee in the morning without a straw! Optimistic person that I really am!! :) 
And that will be a joy. 

2 comments:

  1. I'd give it two weeks minimum before attempting to go back to school! Bones don't even complete that first layer of fusing until then! How the heck are you going to drive! Open a heavy school door? Come on! The key in the lock to your art room? Really? What...if you fall again? Take it easy- for two weeks- then re-evaluate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Rachelle. I know sitting still is out of your element but force yourself to allow time to heal. The last thing you want is to have a set-back that may make things even worse. Do take care Deb!

    ReplyDelete