Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Art Teacher Reads: June Book club book- The Red Garden

The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman is the latest book featured by our "evening" book club-- that now meets in the afternoon.  Long story, and doesn't REALLY matter!

Our group was mostly thrilled to be reading the magical fiction genre group of short stories that are so interestingly related.  The stories are linked by the history of one town, Blackwell, Mass., and revolves  around 4 families that originally populated the town.  There are a few famous people that wander through the story-line, along with a little magic.  It was a great summer book, and I recommend it to anyone who can suspend their grip on "reality" and go with the flow.

The book explores the various families as they interact and intermingle, connected by the town, the Eel River, the bears and other non-human characters that repeat through the chapters. We had a great discussion about how we know our local history through the lens of our own small point in time, not being aware of the possible close connections we have to our ancestors and past citizens that are from more than  a generation ago. Makes me think about the meaning of tradition- which is honored by those trying to pass it along and devalued by those who don't understand.

I recommend this book and indeed any by Alice Hoffman if you are not hampered by the need for reality!

Until next time, be a joy giver!!

What book have you read lately?

3 comments:

  1. I've been reading trashy pirate romances, lol! They are free on my Kindle and all I could find at the time. I have a few series people have recommended that I'm checking out. Love reading your review. I'm always looking for more books to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading deep non-fiction about the seedy underbellly of American and Global politics like The Family by Jeff Sharlet and The Secret History of the American Empire: Economic Hit Men, Jackals, and the Truth about Global Corruption by John Perkins. LOL just a little light summer reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'The Red Garden' sounds like a fun read. It seems these adays I am much more likely to be reading the less than fun titles, Allyce put out! However, I actually have a sort of trashy novel by Danielle Steele on my night stand, 'The Ghost'. Not sure yet if it is any good. I only get through a couple pages before I fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete