Today is the day I begin installation of my big metal hand. This is going to be a multiple day process- and hence a multiple post event!
The first order of business here is to dig out some grass/sod. I need to do that, as I have been told that it will be too hard to get the lawn mower underneath of the hand..... sooooooo, I dug out the grass. I will eventually put fine gravel and/or sand on the dirt under there, or the grass will creep in. It isn't a huge chunk of sod, but it is big enough- maybe 6 ft. across and 4 ft. wide. I spent an hour and a half(and a LOT of calories) digging out the sod, transporting it to be "disposed" of, and then finishing edging the rock garden.
The "completed" hole.
My favorite metal snips and I!
I am beginning to form the metal into the wrist shape. I decided that this piece of metal was a bit too tall, so I cut 6 inches off one side. I had to tweak the shape of the hole and the wrist. It will be sunk into the ground about 18 inches or so.
Next steps include putting the wrist into the ground, mixing up a batch of concrete to secure the wrist into the ground and then attaching the hand to the wrist. I hope to make up that batch of concrete tomorrow!
Good progress is a joy!