Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Neglected Food Post! SW Veggie Soup!

I have been meaning to post another round of cooking, but things sometimes do get in the way!


I also have to figure out a way to get a separate list of recipes I think- it might be nice to be able to have them in a list.  But right now that would involve time I don't seem to have.

This weekend I made Southwestern flavored Mixed Vegetable soup!  I sort of followed a recipe, but I can never leave well enough alone!  :)  So I improvise and change things to suit my needs, what I have and what I like!  PLUS, I tried out making tofu in a few ways to up my protein a little in my diet.  So far so good!
My go to book these days!

At this time of the year, I have to take advantage of my pantry!



I try to find lower salt versions of things, or I  rinse off the canned things to remove some sodium!


 Chop up that onion!! I take the little growing tip out before I dice it up.  It is really pretty though.



Add the firmer vegetables with the onion to get them cooking!

Seasonings- needs a hot kick though I discovered- I added red pepper flakes




Add garlic and spices and let the flavors bloom in the oil



Add the rest of the vegetables and the broth and let cook until potatoes are done.


 I have this new cookbook, too, but I haven't had much of a chance to look at it yet!  I will be investigating soon.

My first attempt at tofu!  I just used some Braggs (really tastes like soy sauce) and pan fried in a tiny bit of oil- good!



SOUTHWESTERN MIXED VEGETABLE SOUP
adapted from How to Cook EVERYTHING Vegetarian, by Mark Bittman

I adapted this by adding the veggies I had and leaving out the ones that I can't even get in town!

2 Tablespoons olive oil (or corn or canola)
1 large chopped onion
1 T minced garlic
1 dried chipotle pepper (I used some chili powder)
1 T cumin (yes, that is right- a Tablespoon)
1 - 2 tsp oregano
salt and pepper
1 large potato, roughly chopped
1 cup corn kernels
1 cup cooked black beans
3 tomatillas - or canned (didn't have this)
1 med. tomato ( or 1 can crushed tomatoes)
1 medium zucchini, chopped
(carrots, pepper, any veg you like also!)
6 cups vegetable stock
cilantro leaves
red pepper flakes or cayenne

Heat oil in a deep pot and saute onions- and carrots/peppers etc if you use them.  about 5 or 6 min.  Add the garlic and chipotle at the last 30 seconds and stir.  Sprinkle on cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper and stir.
Add the rest of the vegetables and cook for a few more minutes, until vegs are shiny and hot.

Add broth, reduce heat to a simmer and cook 20 min or so.

Adjust seasonings-  I added pepper flakes and would also add a little cayenne, as this was pretty mild.  Make it taste how you prefer!  VERY versatile!!

About 220 calories per cup.  SCORE!!!


I STILL haven't written up the post for the AWESOME sweet potato salad I made over Christmas.  It was sooooo good.  I must- soon!!!

I really have to start using up my frozen treats from previous weeks!  So I might need to hold back on the new recipes- ha- maybe.



Find your joy today and make sure you give some away!  Someone might need it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment