Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Garden thoughts from Northern WI #1

I remember thinking at the beginning of April that I need to post way more!!  But wow that went fast and hardly any posts.  Hmm  Well, here is a step to change that!

A friend of mine- let's call her Tanya- in reference to my first EVER blogpost- asked me if I would post some gardening information!  I guess that was a surprise.  I don't feel qualified for some reason to post garden info. Tho I have been gardening since I was a little girl (then it was under duress and protest) and have been gardening ever since I moved up here- which was over 30 years ago.  So take this for what it is worth and please feel free to discuss amongst yourselves and leave comments.  And if blogger won't take the comments, leave them on  Facebook.  If that works for you.

So it is "early" gardening season here, we all know that it will freeze until June, so hold your horses!

Things to get in the ground NOW- and by now I mean when your ground is somewhat drained of standing water and it has been a little sunny to warm up the ground a bit.

*spinach
*peas
*hardy greens (kale, etc.)
*onion sets

Some people say potatoes, but I think it is a good idea to let the ground warm up a bit
Some people might say things like carrots and beets, and the cruciferous veggies,  but see above comment.

In our experience, and I am including the MA in this grouping, putting things in too early is just an exercise in futility.  Either the birds get them, or they sort of languish all cold in the ground, or something.

So for now, wait on most of the rest.

Until then, put in some compost, or dig in some leaves or sit and enjoy the "sun".

NOTE-
garlic can be grown so easily up here and should actually be planted in late fall.  About the time  that you plant daffodils and tulips.  And those cute little things will be coming up now!  :)

Also, the MA sprinkles spinach seed in the late fall (or has let some old plants grow up and reseed) and then we have spinach right NOW!  It is a pretty cool thing.

Don't even consider anything like beans, tomatoes or vines.  Just don't.  Or plan to cry and replant.

It is so exciting to be talking about gardening after this BRUTAL winter- the MA snuck out and planted spinach and peas last night while I was at the gym, so the process has begun.  And that will be a joyful thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment